The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 
Awhile back I bought a 1984 Honda BIG RED that had an ATC 200M front end on it. If you don't know the front fork used on the 1982 - 1984 BIG REDS is not a fully rebuildable unit. The dampers used are not rebuildable and are obsolete from the dealer. The 200M however used rebuildable hydraulic forks. The 200M forks will fit into the steering neck of the 200E and 200ES frames but there is some differences. Part of my goal for this BIG RED is to modify the 200M forks so I can mount the front rack and the headlight from the BIG RED to make it look kinda stock. Then I will rebuild the forks and take it for a ride to determine for myself if the modification is worthwhile. Here are some pics of the 200M front end as I bought it.

IMG_9507.jpg  IMG_9508.jpg  IMG_9509.jpg  IMG_9510.jpg 

Differences below.

IMG_9511.jpg 

Someone had already welded mounts for the lower headlight guard.

IMG_9512.jpg 

Upper headlight guard was just zip tied on

IMG_9513.jpg 

The BIG RED has a tab welded on for the upper headlight guard mount

IMG_9516.jpg 

No tab on the front end of the 200M to mount the front rack like as seen below

IMG_9515.jpg 

I will continue to update this post as progress is made.

Petrolburner

Reply with quote  #2 
That's excellent. My 84 Big Red fork has worn out bushings, and worn out chromed uppers. Even with new bushings, I'm guessing my rough surfaced uppers would just shred the new bushings quickly.
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #3 
Took the front end off of the frame. None of the ball bearings were in place and the bearing race was starting to wear into the steering stem. I welded up the steering stem and ground it down. I will order some tapered bearings for the steering stem.

IMG_9518.jpg  IMG_9519.jpg  IMG_9521.jpg  IMG_9522.jpg  IMG_9525.jpg

Godscogs

Reply with quote  #4 
Has anyone attempted to modify a 250ES front end onto a 200ES? My 200ES front forks look too far gone so beginning to think about alternative solutions....
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #5 
I have not but I like your thinking. I have a 250ES front end on hand so I will do some preliminary investigation after I get the 200M forks on.
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #6 
I got the tapered steering stem bearings in and installed them this week. I like the tapered bearings better than just the loose balls. The tapered bearings are easier to install and you don't have to worry about losing the balls on disassembly.

IMG_9632.jpg  IMG_9635.jpg  IMG_9637.jpg  IMG_9638.jpg  IMG_9639.jpg 

I used an all balls kit. Part #'s are in the pictures above.

IMG_9640.jpg  IMG_9641.jpg 

Upper race and bearing installed. Not sure what the previous owner did to the steering neck. I will eventually swap this front end to another frame.

IMG_9643.jpg 

Lower bearing and seal installed on the stem. There is two different bearings used. You can't mix them up since the upper bearing will not fit on the lower part of the stem (different diameters)

IMG_9644.jpg 

Using spanner wrench to tighten steering nut.

IMG_9645.jpg  IMG_9647.jpg 

Checked (lock to lock) to make sure the front end will not hit the tank. I am using a stock 1984 200ES BIG RED frame and gas tank with an ATC 200M front end.

IMG_9648.jpg  IMG_9649.jpg  IMG_9650.jpg 

Front fender was cracked so I did a little plastic welding. The front fender will aid in installing the headlight and front rack.

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #7 
Installed the front fender and started installing the front rack.

IMG_9720.jpg 

I used a donor front end off a an 82 BIG RED for the front rack mounting tabs

IMG_9721.jpg  IMG_9722.jpg 
Tack welded the lower front rack mount

Godscogs

Reply with quote  #8 
Looking good mate. FYI i had a chance to compare a 250ES front end to the 200ES and found significant dimensional differences which would require some serious fabrication to sort. Look forward to your opinion when you get to it.
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #9 
I used some cardboard as a template for the other rack and haeadlight mount. I then traced the template on some steel and cut it with a plasma cutter. I had to finish grind it to size and then drilled the holes. I tack welded it in place on the front end. So far so good. Next I will work on the headlight mounts.

IMG_9723.jpg  IMG_9724.jpg  IMG_9725.jpg 

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #10 
Work on the top mounts for the headlight guard.

IMG_9893.jpg       Used cardboard template and cut mounts out of steel with plasma cutter

IMG_9894.jpg  IMG_9895.jpg  IMG_9896.jpg 

IMG_9897.jpg

Tack welded upper headlight guards in place. Everything fits well so next I will weld the brackets to the front end.

Godscogs

Reply with quote  #11 
Looking mint, nicely done.
Luke30

Reply with quote  #12 
Any tips on getting front axle out of 200es? Or just penetrating oil and hammer out? Have tried that and no luck as of yet.
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #13 
Finished welding the brackets on the front end. Now on to the front fork rebuild.

IMG_9935.jpg  IMG_9937.jpg 

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #14 
Got the front forks disassembled and cleaned. Had an issue with the fork caps. They were stuck so I had to use a piece of 1/4" diameter round bar and drive them out.

IMG_0006.jpg 

Taking the retaining ring off of the fork cap.

IMG_0008.jpg 

Also stripped the Allen head bolt on the bottom of the fork leg. I pounded in a T-45 Torx to get a new grip and remove it.

IMG_0010.jpg  IMG_0011.jpg 
1/4" diameter round bar used through the damper rod to drive the stuck fork cap from the bottom. It was removed with a couple of taps from the hammer.

IMG_0007.jpg 

Fork disassembled

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #15 
IMG_0034.jpg  IMG_0036.jpg  IMG_0037.jpg  IMG_0038.jpg  IMG_0039.jpg  IMG_0041.jpg  IMG_0042.jpg 

Putting the forks back together. Used 3 ounces of automatic transmission fluid (ATF) in each fork leg.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.