The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
Jlf671

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi I replaced the rear wheel bearings and brakes on my 82 big red 200e and it drove vine for about 30 min and keeps popping off the chain. Tension was good but the rear axle wobbles and chain pops off any suggestions? Thanks in advance
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
To start I would jack it up and get the rear wheels off the ground. Then grab the tire and move it around to see where the wobble is coming from. If the bearings are new and correct it could be that the bearing carrier is not bolted tight to the frame. I've also seen where the bolt holes on the carrier are wallowed out/oversized and the carrier moves around after it has been tightened and has been ridden.

Also check to see if the rear sprocket is secure to the axle.

Jlf671

Reply with quote  #3 
I have tried that sir, all bolts are new on the carrier. Is there a way to tighten the axle all the way and then move the sprocket more to the left to center the chain. I ordered new wheel bearing a again and chain to see if the chain is stretched. Is there a space between the sprocket and the wheel bearing to move the spoiler more to the left.
Ron-Dog

Reply with quote  #4 
Jack the rear end up and run the motor slowly in 1st gear. Watch the sprocket/chain while it's turning. You are saying the "rear axle wobbles"? The first jam nut on the axle should be tightened up enough to eliminate any "play" in the axle,while still being able to turn freely,then the second nut should be tightened against the first one (while holding it in position) as a locking nut. Are you running a chain guard? If not look down the chain from behind,and see if it lines up correctly.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.