The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
ldbull1

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a '82 Honda Big Red with a cracked frame at the rear bottom by the hitch. It is cracked on both sides and it creates a big problem with keeping the chain tight and the last time it broke the chain adjuster. My son tried to weld the frame with both a stick welder turned way down and also with a 110V mig welder and it just tends to burn right through. Does anyone have a good frame around that they would be willing to part with? Or any other suggestions....TIG welding it????
Mikey

Reply with quote  #2 
Can you post a picture? Mig is good for thin metal, especially if you just do a lot of spot welds and build up. Clean the metal both with a abrasive and acetone.

ldbull1

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for your input. I may try to post a pic sometime. The repair we tried to do was 'in frame' if you will, I am thinking that we will take everything off of the frame to do more of a proper repair and then could get a better pic.
Paul4x4

Reply with quote  #4 
Any part of the BIG RED frames can be MIG welded for sure, if you know what you're doing. That's how they were welded together in the factory.

If you tear it down to the frame, it's not only easier to fix the frame but also a good start for a restoration project...[wink]
ldbull1

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for your reply. We did do somewhat of a restoration, but not down to the frame, but that's kinda my thinking that it will make the repair far easier and then the frame can be blasted & repainted. [smile]
martinokane

Reply with quote  #6 
I have a 1985 very clean M frame.
I believe they are the same as they are both chain driven. Let me know.
ldbull1

Reply with quote  #7 
Ok, glad for your reply, do you know how much you would want for it, $ wise? Also do you have a complete front fork assembly off of the same unit that is in working condition? 
martinokane

Reply with quote  #8 
Do you want the M forks as well. They are an upgrade to the 82 thru 84 e and es. I have them plus a lot of other spares. Call or text me
VilliageI-Idiot

Reply with quote  #9 
Hey Martin, do you still have the 200M engine?  I need the bottom end.  No cylinder or head, just the complete bottom end.  

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.