The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 
The seat cover on the 82 BIG RED that I am restoring was in bad shape. It was ripped and was rock hard due to age and moisture. I got a replacement seat cover on ebay for 29 dollars with shipping. This sounds cheap but I have found these covers are the same quality of the more expensive ones. Here is the process I used.

IMG_7404.JPG 
The 82 BIG REDS use a metal seat pan with barbs to hold the seat cover. The seat pan I had was rusty so I media blasted it and then painted it with TP Tools rust cover paint. Some of the barbs were missing but that is ok you can use sheet metal screws to secure the cover to the pan.

IMG_7405.JPG 
I used Loctite adhesive spray to stick the seat foam to the pan. I needed to remove the foam from the pan due to the rust.

IMG_7406.JPG 
The top of the seat foam was not perfect.

IMG_7407.JPG 
The old seat cover had a thin foam pad which I used to help reshape the damaged foam.

IMG_7408.JPG 
Used the spray adhesive to install the foam cover.

IMG_7409.JPG 
Next I used a plastic garbage bag and placed it over the seat foam using the spray adhesive. The plastic cover with help with keeping moisture off of the foam and will help with installation by allowing the new cover to slide. This is an extra step but I have found it helpful.

IMG_7410.JPG 
I centered the cover on the foam and then fastened the front and the back of the cover to the pan first.

IMG_7411.JPG 
After the front and back of the cover are fastened then fasten the sides of the cover. In this case the cover had stitching that follows the edge of the seat pan. I had to use sheet metal screws since some of the barbs were missing from the seat pan. I used a drill to install the self tapping sheet metal screws. Be careful not to put screws through the new cover. Results of the seat cover install below.

IMG_7412.JPG 

IMG_7413.JPG

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
Installed the latch and tool tray to complete the seat.

IMG_7436.JPG 

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #3 
For information on seat foam repair see SEAT FOAM REPAIR
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.