The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
eneusiis

Reply with quote  #1 
This past weekend I picked up this machine for $150. Two owner. First owner was an old hunting buddy to my friends dad who the second owner being my friend bought it from him to check fence lines and then it sat in his barn the past 15 years.

Yesterday I drained the oil and replaced it. Cleaned and rebuilt the carb, drained the tank and replaced all fuel lines and patched some wires to be able to see if I could start it.

Tonight I threw a jumper pack on it and got it started pretty easy. I am really regretting letting my desire to start it make me forget to throw some two stroke or a shot of oil down the cylinder. But I did manually crank 10 times or so to move and lube things.

Once warmed it is running great. However I hear something grinding like metal on metal. Listen to the two videos and let me know what you think. I have not cleaned the rotor yet but suspecting that or the starter not disengaging possibly. Operates just fine though.

This is my first atv, done lots of marine and small engine stuff though in the past.

Any help trouble shooting?

Video of its first cold start in 15+ years:

Video of it warmed up at idle:

Any thoughts on the noise? It’s sounds better in the video than in person, but I have never ran one so I am curious if it is normal and I am just over thinking it.

Also what items next do I need to check on these machines for maintenance, I already did the drive chain lube. Next is a date with a degreaser and power washer, followed by possibly doing the front and rear bearings for good measure. 

Thanks,

Eric

Attached Images
jpeg 5ED569AB-AE24-4201-AAAF-87812CB15738.jpeg (549.55 KB, 6 views)

eneusiis

Reply with quote  #2 
Man 8 views and zero feedback.........

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #3 
It's good to know that there is some good deals on these machines still out there. Nice machine. Thanks for posting the video it really helps with the noise. I would start with checking the valve clearance and adjusting if necessary. Next move on to the cam chain tensioner adjustment. Both procedures are found in the service manual. If you don't have one you can find a link for it here.

Here is a link to a post I made called so you bought that BIG RED - now what. It covers some things that should be considered when going over that new to you BIG RED.
eneusiis

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Mark I will look at the tensioner that makes sense.
Barnboy

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneusiis
Thanks Mark I will look at the tensioner that makes sense.

Sounds like that timing chain is slapping around in there like crazy. I'd adjust the valves first, but likely it will need a new chain unless you can get that tensioner to free up and it's not too stretched.
eneusiis

Reply with quote  #6 
Yup, that is on the list for the weekend is adjust the valves and the chain tensioner.  Found this video of a hack, if the tensioner is hung up, which I guess is fairly common.  Check it out.  

Barnboy

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneusiis
Yup, that is on the list for the weekend is adjust the valves and the chain tensioner.  Found this video of a hack, if the tensioner is hung up, which I guess is fairly common.  Check it out.  

Yep that'll work. If you ever dig into there to replace the timing chain I suggest you pull out the tensioner and debur the sharp edges. Keeps it from hanging up and getting stuck. Fixing to do that to my 200M I'm rebuilding.
Koebel

Reply with quote  #8 
I suggest you have a beer.....stare at it while you have another.....and voila, it’s fixed! Lol.
eneusiis

Reply with quote  #9 
Well, after I got my bolts from Amazon, since ACE, Lowes and Home Depot didn't have the 3MM  x .05 pitch,  it worked beautifully and NO MORE NOISE!  all the chain slap is gone,  and the engine runs nice and quiet! Now I just need a warm day for a power wash and replace the rear bearings and seals and she is good to go. 
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #10 
Good deal. Thanks for the following up with the results.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.