The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
mike.v

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello to the Big Red forum.

I recently had a 1983 200e that belonged to my dad resurrected from years of storage in an old shed. Got it up and running but unfortunately where it sat in the shed, was bags of fertilizer that had fallen apart from moisture and ruined one of the rear rims. The tire was also dry rotted badly but we were able to put enough slime in to keep it inflated. I purchased new tires and finally found some rims with the same 1/150 bolt pattern (hopefully), but the offset is a 3+6?  The original rims look like they are an equal offset. I am wondering if anyone can tell me the original mfg offset spec and if the 3+6 rims will work without any other modification to the hub.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
phil anderer

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Mike, not sure this will help but....i think on the 250es they are 3 + 6 offset, you will need to measure the distance from the back of the rim to the hub and the distance from hub to the front of the rim that should give you the offset 
mike.v

Reply with quote  #3 
Phil,

I did get a measurement with the rims still on the machine and the best I can come up with looks like equal offsets. I can't find any information on mfg original specs. I've called a couple local shops who said they would look into it but haven't bothered to return the call. Still trying to determine if the 3+6 offset will create any issues. 

Thanks for the input though. Hopefully I can get the correct rims. With a bit of luck, I might have something to use during deer season.
phil anderer

Reply with quote  #4 
Just measured wheel on my 200e , hub to front of rim 110mm hub to back rim is around 125mm (not easy to measure while wheel is on the bike ) so they are offset but only slightly... these are original wheels , so really not sure if the wheels you ordered will be ok ? might be worth trying to locate a decent 2nd hand set if yours are roached , i can measure the offset on the new wheels i have tomorrow as they are 3 + 6 and see how they compare if that helps you ....
Phil
phil anderer

Reply with quote  #5 
Just compared the new offset wheels i have for the 250es , which are the same as the ones your talking about... they are totally different to those on my 200e which like you say have very little offset .... so even if they have correct stud spacing for the 200e they will not fit 

Phil
mike.v

Reply with quote  #6 
It looks like new rims don't even exist anywhere on the net. Have seen some used ones out there that say they fit, but don't give any info on stud spacing. I'll have to keep searching or try and find an old bone yard someplace to see if I can come up with anything. For what ever reason that bolt pattern was rare enough to not warrant aftermarket stock.

HRD

Reply with quote  #7 
Fertilizer is some nasty stuff in a humid environment. It'll eat through wood too. 

If the bolt pattern is the same, and the lug diameter and seat, that offset isn't going to hurt anything. OE wheels are all the same, all three are the same part number, front and rear.

The 150 pattern severely limits your wheel choices. To run a different bolt pattern, you could just put another hub on from some other Honda trike or quad.   I'm not certain about what all fits, maybe 200X, and basically many other chain drive models.

That would allow you to find modern, aluminum wheels of many different sizes. I'd still want' to keep some type of balloon tire tire though, because hardtails with hard tires are going to bend axles easier, besides ride extremely rough.

mike.v

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks,

I think I may have found a site that has the rims I'm looking for. I did find and purchased some ITP Mud Lite tires at a price I couldn't refuse so now comes the trickier part. 
HRD

Reply with quote  #9 
As long as the bell will fit over the hub, you can always drill them yourself. That's the good part of not having tapered seat lugs or hub centric wheels. used to be (may still) be ATV wheels available with multiple bolt patterns. It's just drilling holes.

Some careful measuring, a good center punch, and a sharp drill bit will do it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.