The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 
As part of the restoration of he 83 BIG RED I will take the top end of the motor apart. The compression was good but the oil leaks showed issues with the head gasket and rocker cover. This was going on for some time as seen by the grime all over the motor. The first step was to use a wire brush to get the heavy grime off. Then I sprayed the motor down with purple power degreaser and washed it down with an engine cleaning gun. I had to repeat this process three times and it is still not completely clean. Cleaning the engine before disassembly is a good idea to avoid getting dirt into the engine.

IMG_7538.JPG 
Dirty engineIMG_7557.JPG  Engine out and wire brushedIMG_7561.JPG  Engine after a few rounds of degreaser and water.

Need to finish the cleaning and then get the engine on the workbench for disassembly.

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
Got the engine fairly clean and up on the workbench. I am using some white butcher paper on the workbench surface to help keep the engine parts organized.

IMG_7586.JPG 

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #3 
Got the top end of the motor disassembeled. Found that one of the camshaft bearings was scored badly. The cylinder was honed and I will need to get a new set of piston rings.

IMG_7631.JPG  IMG_7632.JPG  IMG_7633.JPG 
Spun camshaft bearing

IMG_7634.JPG 
Notice the bluing on the bearing that was caused by excessive heat/lack of lubrication.

IMG_7635.JPG  IMG_7636.JPG 
Got a camshaft out of a spare motor. This is what the camshaft and bearing should look like.
IMG_7641.JPG 
Motor disassembeled.

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #4 
Checked the piston ring end gap, installed the piston, rings, and cylinder.

IMG_7643.JPG  IMG_7645.JPG 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.