The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
Luke30

Reply with quote  #1 
Anytime I ride for more than 10 minutes or so I can not get electric start to work after shutting off. Sometimes sounds like it is trying to turn starter but doesn’t have enough juice to do it. And eventually does nothing with pushing start button. Lights are all on. I hook up to battery charger and it starts fine again after just 15 minutes. New battery.
VilliageI-Idiot

Reply with quote  #2 
If you use a screw driver to cross the post terminals of the solenoid.....will it start then?  If so...buy a new solenoid.  

Reply with quote  #3 
I would check a few things along with the solenoid:

Battery cables - make sure they are tight, corrosion free, and not frayed

Charging - With the BIG RED not running check the battery voltage with a voltmeter should be 12 to 12.5 volts. Next start the machine and check the battery voltage again while running. It should be around 14 volts.

Battery - if you suspect it is the battery most auto parts stores can load test the battery to check if it is good.

Let us know how you make out or if you need more help.
Luke30

Reply with quote  #4 
Solenoid isn’t part of charging system to start machine is it? Something is draining my battery when I ride for a while. Was thinking rectifier?
Luke30

Reply with quote  #5 
Only takes 10-15 minutes on charger to start up again and will start multiple times no problem until I go on a long ride. Is there anything that could be overheating?
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #6 
It is hard to pinpoint what the problem could be here based on your description as it could be caused by more than one or a combination of things. Without a logical troubleshooting procedure it can be frustrating to get to a solution. My suggestion would be to start testing the charging system and battery to gather data and eliminate possible causes. If you don't find the problem based on your testing let us know what was tested, the results of the testing, and we can proceed from there. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.