The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 
Based on inspection I need to hone the cylinder. Before you think of doing this do some research to make sure the cylinder can be bored. This job requires a cylinder hone, drill, and some WD-40. See pictures and captions below for details.  IMG_5641.jpg   
As you can see from this picture the cylinder needs a little cleaning. I am also going to install new piston rings and the honing will create a good surface for the new rings to seat in.

IMG_5642.jpg   
This is a 3 stone spring backed cylinder hone that can be purchased at most auto parts stores. It has an end on it that can be attached to a drill. I use an electric drill since it is lower speed and has more control as compared to an air drill. The procedure is simple - clean the cylinder out good, lubricate the cylinder with a light oil like WD40 and then insert the hone, hook up the drill and spin the hone in the cylinder. Make sure you hone the entire length of the cylinder. I hone in short bursts and stop to check the condition of the cylinder surface. You just need to clean up the surface to get an even finish.
IMG_5643.jpg   
This is the cylinder after honing. I will check the piston to cylinder clearance again to make sure it is within spec. If the clearance is too large or the cylinder surface does not clean up sufficiently you will need to bore out the cylinder in this case.

Luke30

Reply with quote  #2 
Do you use standard size rings if honing is all that is needed?
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes I used standard size rings
El_Whit0

Reply with quote  #4 
So I was thinking about rebuilding my top end but I noticed there's four different size piston rings am I able to know what size mine are without taking it apart and using a caliper it's a 84 200atc es big red
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #5 
Sometimes the top of the piston is stamped. Example std, .010., .020, etc. It's always best to measure and verify the current size to determine the size you need. Some auto parts stores have measuring tools you can use for free.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.