The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 
Installed the cylinder and the cylinder head on the Big Red. Installing the cylinder is easy since it uses long studs that mount in the crankcase. These long studs help align the cylinder when compressing the piston rings and fitting the piston inside the cylinder. See pics and captions for more detail.

IMG_5779.jpg    
I will use my hands to compress the piston rings and slide the cylinder down onto the piston. I use safety wire to keep the timing up and out of the way

IMG_5780.jpg   
cylinder installed

IMG_5781.jpg   
Install the cylinder head gasket

IMG_5782.jpg   
Install cylinder head.

IMG_5783.jpg   
Install camshaft and put the timing gear on the sprocket. Make sure the camshaft is at TDC on the compression stoke and both cam lobes are down. The timing mark on the cam sprocket should be at 12 o'clock for the installation.

IMG_5784.jpg   
Installed the rocker cover using RTV as a sealant and then set the valve clearances.

IMG_5785.jpg   
Installation almost complete. Next I need to install the stator and rotor of the ignition pickup.

I installed the ignition pickup rotor and stator to complete the motor assembly for this top end rebuild. Now the motor is ready to be installed back into the frame.

IMG_5786.jpg  IMG_5787.jpg 

Rotor and stator installed

IMG_5788.jpg   
Cover installed and engine is ready to go back into the frame.

Luke30

Reply with quote  #2 
Any tips on putting engine back in frame? It came out relatively easy, but I’m thinking putting it back may be a little more difficult. Was thinking maybe taking bolt out that holds final drive on frame?
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes taking off the rear differential and drive shaft assembly off the frame before putting the engine in the frame makes it easier in my experience. Trying to get to get the engine in place and the universal joint on can be difficult.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.