The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
El_Whit0

Reply with quote  #1 
Okay so i haven't had this machine for long just replaced the front bearings and put on a brand new carburetor now I'm trying to get it to stop burning oil when I start it up it looks like a 2 stroke and as you can see in the pictures it pours oil out of the exhaust so I'm wondering if it's my rings or my head gasket or maybe even the valve spring oil seal or maybe all of them I'm not trying to dump a ton of money into this runs and rides just fine just so I think the rings kind of factor out still has power just uses oil every time I ride if anyone's had the similar problem or has an idea what it could be any opinion would be greatly appreciated

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_20190908_031656.jpg (148.71 KB, 8 views)
jpeg IMG_20190908_031711.jpg (164.69 KB, 8 views)

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks for sending pics on this one. Almost looks like it could be leaking from the rocker cover and running down the engine. My suggestion would be to clean it up withe a wire brush and some degreaser. Then start it up and look for the leak or multiple leakpaths.

If there is an internal engine issue you can do a leakdown test to help determine head gasket, valve, piston ring issues.

In some cases if it is the valve seals it will smoke on startup and clear up shortly after.

HERE is a link to a post on leakdown testing. Some auto parts stores rent leakdown testers for free.

El_Whit0

Reply with quote  #3 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1schqJ0F9a0vkxWIIPZzaD_m7gzPqnJAY/view?usp=drivesdk here's a video of it running
El_Whit0

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredmark
Thanks for sending pics on this one. Almost looks like it could be leaking from the rocker cover and running down the engine. My suggestion would be to clean it up withe a wire brush and some degreaser. Then start it up and look for the leak or multiple leakpaths.

If there is an internal engine issue you can do a leakdown test to help determine head gasket, valve, piston ring issues.

In some cases if it is the valve seals it will smoke on startup and clear up shortly after.

HERE is a link to a post on leakdown testing. Some auto parts stores rent leakdown testers for free.

it used to smoke at idle but it seems to not be smoking at idle anymore just about mid-range
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #5 
I couldn't open the video
El_Whit0

Reply with quote  #6 
when I hit the gas it smokes like hell ,idle it's calm
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #7 
If it is white smoke coming out of the end of the exhaust it is probably worn piston rings.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.