The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
tosaw

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello guys, I want to contribute to this site so here goes... Pics and Instructions from my brake shoe replacement on my 1984 Big Red. Other years should be similar but may require different tools.

1984 Honda Big Red ATC

Tools needed for Front & Rear Brake Replacement:
Screw driver
Ratchet and Sockets (12 mm, 19 mm, 24mm)
Hammer
Drift
Pliers
Sand Paper
Pipe Wrench

Front Brakes:

Jack up ATC, stabilize.
Remove cotter pin and axle nut (use 19mm socket).
DSC_8715.jpg 
Undo adjusting nut from brake arm.
DSC_8714.jpg 
Lightly tap out axle with hammer and drift removing axle completely.  Brake shoe housing will come off.
DSC_8716.jpg  DSC_8717.jpg 
Spread the old brake shoes apart and remove.
DSC_8718.jpg 
Remove springs from shoes and save if no new springs were purchased (factory Honda shoes come with new springs).
Using brake cleaner clean brake shoe housing.
DSC_8720.jpg 
Using brake cleaner and sand paper clean brake drum.
DSC_8724.jpg 
Replace shoes onto brake housing.
DSC_8723.jpg 
Replace brake housing on wheel.
DSC_8726.jpg 
Clean and grease axle and insert axle making sure to place the spacer on the non-drum side prior to fully re-inserting the axle.
DSC_8727.jpg 
Install axle nut.
Replace wheel tighten axle nut and lug nuts.
DSC_8731.jpg  DSC_8734.jpg 
Re-attach brake cable.  Check brake adjustment and adjust brakes as needed.
DSC_8735.jpg  DSC_8738.jpg  DSC_8739.jpg  DSC_8740.jpg

Rear Brakes:

Jack up ATC.  Make sure to stabilize the ATC prior to removing rear right wheel (use 12 mm socket).
DSC_8741.jpg 
Remove hub (use 24mm socket).
DSC_8743.jpg  DSC_8744.jpg  DSC_8745.jpg 
Remove axle lock nuts with adjustable pipe wrench or other suitable tool.
DSC_8750.jpg 
Remove brake cable adjuster nuts (uses 12mm socket) and springs.
DSC_8752.jpg 
Remove skid plate.
DSC_8757.jpg 
Loosen nuts on brake housing (use 12mm socket-You may leave the water nut in place).
DSC_8760.jpg 
Remove brake housing.
DSC_8761.jpg 
Remove brake shoes.
DSC_8766.jpg 
Clean brake housing and cover. (My old shoes had disintegrated, look at all the brake dust!)
DSC_8762.jpg  DSC_8767.jpg 
Replace shoes.
Replace housing cover and nuts.
DSC_8773.jpg 
Replace axle locking nuts.
Replace brake cables, springs and nuts.
DSC_8778.jpg 
Check brake adjustment.  Adjust brakes as needed.
Replace skid plate.
Replace hub and nut.
DSC_8780.jpg 
Replace wheel and tighten nuts.
Re-check brake adjustment and adjust as needed.

Test ride and smile, knowing you can now stop safely!

Disclaimer: I did this brake job back in 2010 and looking at it now, I'd have done a few things different for example, cleaning better and replacing the rear axle housing gasket that I can now see was pretty shot but I didn't notice then. That being said, my brakes still work great today!

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
Thank you for creating and sharing this detailed post with great pictures. I am sure this will help others get their brakes working again.
Koebel

Reply with quote  #3 
Got new brakes coming this week! Can’t wait to copy you and make mine safe as well!!! Thanks sir
mendoAu

Reply with quote  #4 
I should probably wait until I actually do this but here goes. I've noticed two things about the front brake shoes I will be putting on. Number one they need a slight "spacer" to spread them more at the stationary "bolt". That will illiminate allot of the pull needed at the brake grip. Number two, I don't know how warn your brake drum is but when I put a shoe up aganist mine you can tell that not all of the shoe is riding on the drum. I'm planning on solving this issue (instead of waiting many miles until they "self fit" with wear) by applying a strip of self sticking sanding disk the width of the drum and run it for awhile. Constantly applying brake pressure. Might have to remove the front end a few times but hopefully when the right amount of sanding is performed the shoes will have 100% contact. Now if only I could finish up the complete wiring re-do on this beast.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.