The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
redfleet

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello fellow Big Red maniacs ! Ive been searching to find an accurate answer, but they are all so conflicting! It seems the common problem of when I buy an old Red ,that's been sitting in a shed for who knows how long, is the turpentine gas has gummed up the jets ! So should I just  yank the carb and do a rebuild or try the $7-8 dollar a can of that stuff?     Im not cheap or lazy just asking your suggestions  to what works and what doesnt!
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
If they have been sitting I will take the carb apart and clean it. That way I know it's clean.
Mikey

Reply with quote  #3 
I doubt it would work for hardened crud in the jets, but if it's just starting to gum up, why not? I've used it with positive results when I have forgotten to drain gas and stored a machine for a while. Engine runs rough and doesn't rev....put a bottle in the gas, and pour some in the intake. Then pour a LOT in the intake until the engine stalls. Let that sit for a while....restart. I find most of the time I'm good for another year or until I have time to clean up the engine.

redfleet

Reply with quote  #4 
Awesome thank you sir for your input !  Needless to say Im getting really good at 200 carbs
Mikey

Reply with quote  #5 
I'm told that these carbs are prone to worn needles. Are you finding this accurate?

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.