The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
Zzr7ky

Reply with quote  #1 
1984 200 ES very good condition. Apparently adult single owner, stored inside and under a cover.

2 issues. 1 CHOKE IS MISSING. Cable is there but no choke.

2nd issue is Front wheel chucking. Unloaded the front forks.by putting jack under the frame. I can move front hub 3/8 inch easily fore and aft. No visible damage to front frame tube.

As I am a complete nube to Honda Big Reds I would appreciate your input on what parts, where to procure, and any other suggestions!
Thanks, Mike
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome. When you say the choke is missing do you mean the linkage and butterfly is missing from the carb?

Also is the play between the wheel hub and the front axle or is the movement in the forks?
Zzr7ky

Reply with quote  #3 
Choke butterfly is missing. Cable is intact.

The hub and forks seem fine. The play is in the verticle tube where the Left and Right frame come together at the top of the forks.
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #4 
You might be able to find a used carb on ebay or you could try a replacement Chinese one. The Chinese carbs typically need to be rejetted to run correctly. I checked partzilla and I did not see where the butterfly itself is available. The butterfly can be removed so you may be able to salvage one from a carb that is unserviceable.

Ok. We are talking about the steering head bearings. The OEM design uses loose balls that run in a bearing race. You may just need to tighten the adjusting nut to reduce play in the steering head but it may be a good idea to disassemble the steering head and grease the bearing balls and races. Also it could be that some of the balls are missing if someone has already taken it apart before you bought it. If you take it apart make sure you are careful not to lose the balls during disassembly. The adjusting procedure is described in the service manual on page 12-23. If you don't have a service manual here is a link. Look for Honda ATC200ES shop manual.
Zzr7ky

Reply with quote  #5 
Ordered a set of updated tapered bearings and races. Will also update to the halogen or LED headlamp. Already getting chores done quicker. May have to fab the butterfly for carb.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.