The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
Big Red Jason

Reply with quote  #1 
Any advantage OR disadvantage to running premium gas?

Any use additives to keep it running clean and rust free.

j.
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
The downside I see with premium gas is the higher cost. 

Looking at the owners manual pump octane of 86 or higher is sufficient for the BIG RED ATC's. Note this is based on a stock engine. If you are running a higher compression ratio due to cylinder/head/piston modifications you may need a higher octane to prevent pinging.

I use stabil if I am not planning to use the gas in the next 60 days.

Keeping the tank full of gas during storage can help prevent rusting.
Big Red Jason

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Mark.

VilliageI-Idiot

Reply with quote  #4 
Compression (when new) was pretty low.  Any gas will run fine BUT I do prefer non-ethanol gas.  I refuse to put corn water in my stuff.  

While NOT a good idea.....as a kid I used to steal gas from my grandpa's tractor.  He bought 70 octane tractor gas for his old 8N.  I would siphon it over into my ATC110 and it ran like a champ.  I deserved a trip to woodshed for doing that.  Looking back, he must've known.  I did it everytime my allowance ran out, which was regularly.  LOL!!!!

Reply with quote  #5 
I run a 96 octane low-lead non ethanol fuel in mine and it runs great! It just happened to be idling when the non ethanol hit the carb big difference much smoother now!
Mikey

Reply with quote  #6 
Gas choices is always an opinion issue. High compression likes (needs?) high octane. If your engine can change it's timing it may not matter. Higher grade gas may not have as much or any ethanol in  your area. That ethanol is hard on the rubber tubes, etc. I run premium just to be safe, no performance.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.