The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
Kfed

Reply with quote  #1 
Red misses, spits and sputters until about 5 minutes of running then it smooths out and runs pretty good, this all started with a loss of spark, replaced coil and seem to fix but within minutes started missing until it quit and no spark again.....parked it.... 6 months later I picked up a used OEM coil thought I'd try starting it for the heck of it and it started up.....??, I just don't understand why when it gets warm problem disappears....any ideas??

Thanks
Kevin
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
Can you get the miss/sputter to stop by using the choke at different positions? If it has been sitting for 6 months and there was gas left in the carb I would take the carb off for a cleaning/inspection.
Kfed

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for input.... I've had the carb off and cleaned and the tank cleaned when I thought it was a fuel problem, and no the choke doesn't cure it, it acts and feels like it loses spark.... I just don't get why it runs great after it warms up.....
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #4 
Not sure on this one. Some Big Reds I have owned in the past needed to warm up a few minutes before I could get on an ride otherwise it would miss/cutout. Keep us posted of any updates on this.
Braden Kalevik

Reply with quote  #5 
It might be the cdi that could be weak and make a bad spark the heat of the warmed up engine would help ignite the fuel causing it to smooth out
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.