The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
phil anderer

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, ive been working on the  carb on the 83 200e because I wanted to keep the trike original rather than fitting a Chinese job 

It was pouring fuel out of the overflow and generally not behaving
so ive rebuilt it with all new jets and and have stopped it pissing out fuel... took it out today and after 1/4 mile it decides to cut out 
spark plug is totally black and sooty... im guessing its the pilot jet 
that needs adjusting ? if so does it need screwing in or screwing out to stop the plug fouling up ? 
Lastly , can this be done with carb still in place or will it have to come off (again lol ) thanks for your help....
Phil
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
The pilot screw adjusts the mixture at idle. It may not be the issue here but it can be adjusted without taking the carb off. The procedure is to turn in the pilot screw until it lightly seats then back it out 1-7/8" turns. Then start and once up to operating temp set the idle at 1,400 rpm. Then turn the pilot screw in until the engine dies then back out the screw 1 turn. Also look to make sure the choke is fully open once you are warmed up. Another thing you can check without removing the carb is checking the needle clip position.

Otherwise you will need to remove the carb to go further. I would check to see if the correct size jets are used, the float height is correct, and the carb is really clean.

HERE is a link to the carb specs.

HERE is a link to the factory service manual on line.

Both of these links are good reference material.
phil anderer

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Mark that gives me a few ideas / routes to try out , talking about float height the manual is saying this is adjustable but the float does not have the metal tab that you would normally bend slightly to adjust the float height so how are you meant to do it ? All the jets are correct and the new ones were put back exactly the same position so
could be float setting... I don't know if its been running rich for a while as ive only just got it running (been stood for couple yrs) 

Phil
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #4 
Not sure what is in your carb. Pulled an old original carb I have on the the shelf to show the metal tab. (yeah I know it is crusty - been on the shelf for awhile) If it doesn't have a way too adjust the float height it I would just check it maybe it is correct and you don't have to mess with it. If not you will need to get some floats with the metal tab.
float.jpg 

phil anderer

Reply with quote  #5 
Mine is nothing like that lol, floats on this carb are like a brown colour and all plastic even where the pin slots in.... ive bought a kit with a float in it that I think is adjustable so ill try that, ill post pic over w end of the float that's in there , but looks nothing like yours.. 

Phil
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #6 
Quick follow up on this. The pic I took was from a 1984 BIG RED. I checked partzilla and a new float set is about 50 bones (WOW) but the pic they show is an all plastic assembly as you describe.

16013-439-921 FLOAT SET
phil anderer

Reply with quote  #7 
Yep that's the puppy, ive bought a cheap generic kit (prob Chinese ) off the bay and it contains a float like the one in your carb so im hoping it will fit and I can get the 14mm setting that it states in the manual... will have a go tomorrow as its beer oclock here !! thanks for your help .....
Phil
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.