The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
dave409787

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, new to this forum, and finally in ownership of a 1984 Big Red 200ES.  I've been looking for years as there are very few where i live.

Unfortunately it has no spark, although I'm assured it was running a few weeks ago.  One of the timing advance springs has broken, and I suspect some time ago as the plates on the advancer are very worn.  I'm therefore thinking to replace the whole assembly if I can find one, or just try the springs?  Can anyone direct me to what to look for, an alternative that will fit etc?

Also, I read that the CDI's can be temperamental so thought I'd get a new one just to check that also.  All the chinese ones on ebay say they don't fit the 200es, however mine is round plug 6 wire, so it would physically fit, but would it not work?  Again, any advice which one to buy would be appreciated.
Once I know she runs again, and how she runs, I can strip the strip down and rebuild!

Thanks for reading and any help hugely appreciated.
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome to the forum. I have had 200es's run with broken advance springs (not well but it ran). Dratv.com could be a parts source for the parts you're looking for.
Paul4x4

Reply with quote  #3 
I had one broken spring on my 200E and I just took a replacement from some random spring assortment box. No problems whatsoever. So I don't think the springs have to be anything too specific. Just use what you can find and it will probably work just fine.
Squireman

Reply with quote  #4 
Had the same issue with finding a replacement CDI.  The Chinese one physically plugged in, but made the system think the trans was in reverse, and therefore the ignition would not work. Finally bought a parts bike for a good cdi.
dave409787

Reply with quote  #5 
So I found a replacement assembly from canada, but have now found out that the timing chain is slack.  Fairly sure the chain tensioner is to blame, as the adjustment arm still has spring to it when a 3mm threaded bar is placed down the adjustment hole, but I can't get the chain tight, so i'm guessing is the long curved tensioner part.  Although I'm now getting a spark after a rewire, albeit very weak, it still won't fire up. Should I not try to run it until this timing chain is taught?  Any advice appreciated.  Also, can I get to the tensioner for the timing chain by just stripping the top end of the engine?
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #6 
If it was me I would get the timing chain tight. If you are replacing the timing chain it can be done with the engine in the frame. There is a post on it HERE is the link. I don't know if the tensioner can be removed (right side) without removing the top end - I have never tried. Note in order to remove the top end on the 1984 BIG RED you will need to remove the engine from the frame.
dave409787

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks @bigredmark After further inspection and removal of the timing chain I've seen the tensioner is snapped at the bottom, which means removing the top end.  I had hoped it would come out without removing the engine.  Now just trying to find a source for  a new chain, gaskets and tensioner that will send to the UK.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.