The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
IAmNobody

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey y'all this is my first post here and I am in need of some information on a project I'm working on. A while back a buddy gave me a completely destroyed first year Big Red in trade for some work on some stuff. I had planned on restoring it or at least getting it back into usable shape, but the more and more i tore into it, the more i realized that it was just going to cost way more than i wanted to put in it. The good thing is that the motor has plenty of compression, was always closed up outside, and spins over when you put power to the starter. All that being said and me being the welder owning, Mtn Dew drinking, fabricobbling redneck that I am, I went up to my parts yard and found what was left of a mini bike someone gave me years ago. I think you might be able to see where I'm going here... Yeah.... I'm building a Big Red powered off road mini bike.... Anyways, I need a few bits of info on a couple things. 1. What are the specs on the battery? 2. What is the best performing muffler for one of these? Not a full system, just muffler since the stock exhaust system obviously won't fit on here lol. Also, are there any other performance upgrades that'll wake these things up? I'm planning on doing a smog pump supercharger at some point. Thanks in advance! If you guys are interested in following along, I'll start a build thread, but if not then I won't worry about it. Here's a pic as it sits, I still have a good bit of work left to do. I need to make a skid plate, mount the foot pegs, finish the wiring, fix the brakes, and paint it.

IMG_0404.jpg 

VilliageI-Idiot

Reply with quote  #2 
LOL!!!

I'm doing the same thing right now only with a little smaller mini bike and a 185S engine.  

I'm going to have to tilt my engine forward about 20 degrees to get it in place.

I'm going to have a major issue feeding the carburetor.  I don't have the space you have for a real tank.  I'm going to try to use a Mikuni fuel pump like the Briggs Vanguard engines use and power it with the crankcase vent port.  I just hope it isn't too strong for the pump diaphragm.  Those pumps usually use pressure from the valve cover which is considerably less than the main case.  I think I can use a T in the line to reduce pressure.  Time will tell.

Good luck.  Wear a helmet.  It should be wicked evil to ride!!!

Reply with quote  #3 
My gas tank is actually just a small motorized bicycle tank welded inside the factory Baja Warrior tank lol. As for the pulse pump, you should be fine hooking it to the crankcase, I’ve done it before and it’s always worked just find for me on equivalently sizes engines. I will definitely wear a helmet. I got in a fight with a gravel road a couple years back when the forks broke on one of my other projects and lost with a broken jaw that’ll never heal so a full face helmet is on my head every time I ride something like this lol.
IAmNobody

Reply with quote  #4 
I actually got the fenders and tank painted last night. Really happy with how it turned out. Once I finish building the frame and all, I’ll pull it all apart and repaint the frame and everything else gloss black.

Attached Images
jpeg 21474F92-558C-4970-83C9-68A74C37AF8E.jpeg (529.75 KB, 8 views)

VilliageI-Idiot

Reply with quote  #5 
Changed my mind on mine.  Yours is a better frame to fit the engine.  Mine is much smaller and while I COULD do it, the headaches of making an exhaust and intake for it exceeds what value I had in the idea.

Reply with quote  #6 
I just snagged a freebie Baja Warrior with a junk engine.  NOW, I gots me a frame to drop the 185S engine I am building.

.....I am seriously considering building a 1/2 scale Honda Goldwing.  It would be a long difficult road but I CAN get a builders title for it in TN and if it passes inspection...make it street legal.

How cool...or stupid would a mini goldwing be? Saddle boxes, windshield/fairing...the works.   LOL!!!!

Post some updates on this if you have a mind to.  I'd like to see it.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.