The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 
Started working on the gas tank for the restoration of the 1982 BIG RED 200E. The first step for me is coating the inside of the tank with REDKOTE. The inside of this tank was not that bad but I would hate for a new paint job to get ruined due to a gas leak down the road. Coating the tank as a first step is smart for me since I do not have to worry about getting acetone or the coating itself on the outside of the tank. If I do no problem since the tank will be stripped anyways. I have detailed the tank coating process in another post here TANK COATING. See pics and captions below. I will add info to this post as I progress with this job.

IMG_7138.JPG 
Before pic of the gas tank

IMG_7422.JPG 
Inside of tank before coating. Not too bad.

IMG_7424.JPG 
IMG_7423.JPG 
pic of inside of tank after coating
IMG_7425.JPG 
Next I used paint stripper and razor blade to remove some of the old pant and the decals. This will make media blasting the tank easier.

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
IMG_7437.JPG 
Tank after media blasting

IMG_7438.JPG 
I used a sharpie to identify all the dings that needed body filler. This tank was in pretty good shape.

IMG_7439.JPG  IMG_7440.JPG 
Body filler applied and sanded. Tank is now ready for primer.

UPDATE 2019: I have since painted the tank with epoxy primer after it has been media blasted. I then do the bodywork over the epoxy primer. Once the bodywork is done I will put on another coat of epoxy primer. I changed my process because I believe the epoxy primer will provide more corrosion resistance as compared to the urethane primer.

IMG_0956.jpg 

Epoxy Primer Used

IMG_0981.jpg 
First coat of epoxy primer

IMG_1025.jpg 
body filler and spot putty applied

IMG_1024.jpg 

Body filler and spot putty used

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #3 

Urethane primer used

IMG_1029.jpg 

Primed the tank using 2K urethane primer. After it is dry I will need to wet sand it.

IMG_7464.JPG

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #4 
IMG_7465.JPG  IMG_7466.JPG 
Primer wet sanded with 600 grit

IMG_7467.JPG 

Basecoat applied

IMG_7468.JPG 
clearcoat applied. Looks rough because I ran out of paint on the third coat. It's ok I will just need to color sand more than what I wanted.

IMG_7469.JPG 
Tank color sanded with 1000 and then 1500 grit. Goal here is to "level" the paint. Wet sand with 1000 and 1500 grit so the complete tank is dull. Just make sure you do not sand though the clearcoat
IMG_7470.JPG 

Tank buffed with electric buffer. This is pic shows the results of 2 buffing stages. Still have 3 stages left.

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #5 
Some pics of the tank after buffing and installing the decals. The tank still needs to be waxed. For more paint details check out PAINT DETAILS

IMG_7489.JPG  IMG_7491.JPG 

IMG_7492.jpg

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.