The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 

Ratcheting wrenches have been around for a long time but due to the cost I did not buy a set until last year. My friend sent me a link to this wrench set that was on sale at tooltopia.com. I thought it was a good deal so I bought the wrenches. The price of the kit was around $100.00. The wrench set includes total of 20 combination wrenches: 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4 and 13/16 inches and 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 millimeters wrenches. 12 stubby wrenches: 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 and 5/8 inches, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 millimeters.  The ratcheting 12 point wrenches do not have a switch on them like a ratchet to reverse the rotation you just flip the wrench over to the other side. I have owned these wrenches for about 5 months now. Here is the good and the bad.

THE GOOD

High quality – These wrenches are fully polished, strong, and more comfortable to use as compared to a ratchet and socket.

Low ratchet reset –  Ratcheting Box End Needs only 5° to Move Fasteners vs. 30° for Standard Wrenches. This can really help in tight spots.

Versatility – These wrenches are just another option for when you need to install or remove hardware in a tight spot where a ratchet and socket may not fit. I have used these wrenches many times now in tight spaces to remove bolts that would have taken a long time to remove and install due to resetting the wrench on the fastener.

THE BAD

Cost – These wrenches cost much more than a high quality standard wrench. The Gearwrenches have their place but I would consider them a luxury purchase.

Storage case – The storage case is nice but it doesn’t have the size marked on it and the way the wrenches are stored you can’t see the markings. This wasn’t a big deal - I used a paint marker to mark the sizes on the case.

I haven’t experienced any issues with these wrenches in the year that I have owned them. I would recommend them if you are going to supplement your current quality wrench set. If you are just starting out I would recommend buying a more complete set of standard quality wrenches first.

IMG_5142.JPG  IMG_5145.JPG  IMG_5146.JPG  IMG_5147.JPG 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.