The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 
This is a product review for a Harbor Freight Ultrasonic cleaner. I bought this ultrasonic cleaner specifically to clean BIG RED carbs. My thinking is that it would be a semi-automatic cleaner as in I would disassemble the carb, put it in the cleaner, do something else, come back and blow the carb out and reassemble it. The idea of using just water to clean a carb was appealing since my parts washer smells and I need to use rubber gloves to protect my hands. Ultrasonic cleaning works by (from Google)
Ultrasonic cleaning uses cavitation bubbles induced by high frequency pressure (sound) waves to agitate a liquid. The agitation produces high forces on contaminants adhering to substrates like metals, plastics, glass, rubber, and ceramics.  

I recently cleaned a carb with the ultrasonic cleaner. I found that water did not seem to work at all so I had to add a 1/4 teaspoon of the ultrasonic cleaning powder I bought fro Harbor freight. The cleaner cost around $90.00 and the powder cost around $5.00. Adding the powder seemed to be the key to cleaning the carb since the water was dirty after the cleaning cycle. The cleaner is easy to use just plug it in fill it with water or cleaning solution, put the parts in, set the timer and press on. The carb was pretty clean after I was done and I was happy with the results. The cleaner also has a built in heater that can aid in cleaning. See the pics attached. Here is the good and the bad I found with this product.

THE GOOD

No manual labor - as opposed to the the parts washer or using spray carb cleaner no scrubbing is needed

Set it and forget it - This is a good feature since I can turn the cleaner on and go do something else while the carb gets cleaned.

Clean parts inside - Even when using the powder there was not a chemical smell coming from the cleaner like when using a solvent parts washer or spray carb cleaner.

THE BAD

Price - the price is good for me since I will clean dozens of carbs with this cleaner. If you are just going to clean a few carbs your money will probably be better spent elsewhere.

Doesn't work with just water - This is what I found and I was disappointed.

Basin size - The basin is not deep enough to submerge the entire carb. Which means you need to flip it over for complete cleaning

All in all I am happy so far with this ultrasonic cleaner. I plan on using simple green as a cleaning solution in the future. I will provide updates as I use this cleaner.

[image]  [image] 
Carb before cleaning

[image] 
Carb in ultrasonic cleaner

[image] 
After using cleaner with water and cleaning powder

[image]  [image]  IMG_7227.JPG 
Carb after cleaning - note the residue in the float bowl was eliminated after another cleaning cycle

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
Update- Ultrasonic cleaner is still working fine. No issues. I have used simple green in it with good results.
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #3 
UPDATE - After a little over three years the Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner has given up the ghost.[bawl]Smelled like fried circuits then quit. I did get some good use out of it and the price was good so I am not disappointed. I am a believer in this ultrasonic principal so I will be buying a new larger ultrasonic cleaner in the future.
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #4 
Got another ultrasonic cleaner. This one is much larger (30L). So far so good. I will write a new review once I've used it for awhile.
IMG_0109.jpg  IMG_0108.jpg  IMG_0107.jpg  IMG_0106.jpg  IMG_0113.jpg 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.