The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 
Plastic welding is the best way I have found to repair cracked fenders on BIG RED ATC's.The process is simple and the repair is strong and sturdy. The repair may not look great cosmetically when done but it can be sanded smooth and plastic renew can be used to help improve appearance. The article below describes how the plastic welding is done, the plastic welder I use, and some before and after pictures. Also included are links in the article if you want some more in depth information.

Fixed up the cracked front and rear fenders on the BIG RED. I used a Urethane Supply Plastic Welder and it did a great job. I will use the fender renew later to give these fenders some shine. Here is a link to a review of the plastic welder I used. Urethane Supply Plastic Welder Review

IMG_6465.JPG 
Front fender busted up
IMG_6467.JPG 
Using duct tape to hold the fender together

IMG_6466.JPG 

IMG_6470.JPG 
use plastic welder to create a groove. Note that I drilled a hole at the end of the crack. This will help stop the crack from ever spreading further.

IMG_6471.JPG 
Use plastic weld filler in the groove

IMG_6472.JPG 
IMG_6473.JPG 
Do the same process on the outside. Nice and strong and after the plastic renew and sanding it will look better than a zip tie or pop rivet repair. See completed fender after Plastic Renew here

IMG_6893.JPG

Finished result after Using plastic renew

PLASTIC WELDER

Plastic welding is a way to heat up the plastic and filler rod to fuse two pieces of plastic together. I use this plastic welder to fix cracked atv fenders, dirt bike fenders, and other plastic pieces (dashboards, airboxes, etc.) The plastic welder is made by the urethane supply company. It comes with a heating iron, filler rods, and instructions. I bought the kit from Dennis Kirk for $49.99 about 6 years ago. Here is the good and bad.

THE GOOD

-          Easy to use

-          Stronger bond as compared to other repair methods I have used in the past like epoxy and stitching

-          Different color rods are supplied to match different color plastics

-          Fast repair- The iron heats up quickly and the weld sets up in a few minutes

-          Inexpensive – the price of new plastic is crazy this is a good alternative option

-          Good step by step instructions provided

Replacement filler rods are readily available

THE BAD

-          The iron cannot get into all spaces like certain curves and corners

-          The repair may not look good when complete. I have found that the repair is difficult to get smooth. It can be sanded and blended but it takes some work. Don’t expect the fenders to look like new using this repair method.

-          Smell – Melting the plastic with the iron smells terrible. Make sure you do this in a well-ventilated area

If you are like me doing many projects where you will run into vehicles needing plastic repair I recommend this tool because it will do a good job making cracked fender functional again. I have found many other uses for repairing plastic this besides fenders. I have had no issues with this tool. Again in my experience it takes a lot of work to get the repair to look good cosmetically but it will not look as good as new.  If you have cracked fenders and want them to look new you may want to use the 49.99 towards new plastic.

IMG_3958.JPG  IMG_4056.JPG 
IMG_4060.JPG
IMG_4057.JPG
IMG_4054.JPG

The plastic welder came in handy again to repair a taillight housing on a 1984 Honda BIG RED 200ES ATC. The housing was cracked badly and now it is solid and watertight. Nice and easy.

IMG_6539.JPG
Before

IMG_6540.JPG   
IMG_6541.JPG  AFTER

Some more pics of rear fenders off a 1985 Honda BIG RED 250ES that were repaired using plastic welding.

IMG_9066.jpg  IMG_9067.jpg  IMG_9068.jpg  IMG_9076.jpg  IMG_9077.jpg  IMG_9078.jpg 

Like most things your plastic welding technique will improve over time. Not all fenders will be able to be repaired by plastic welding especially if pieces are missing or if there is large gaps. I hope this article provides some insight on plastic welding. As mentioned for me this is the best repair method I have found so far - better than drilling holes and using zip ties and string or using pop rivets.
chuckleberry

Reply with quote  #2 
What type of plastic rod was used?  Is it urethane?

I found this on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Urethane-Supply-Company-5003R3-Welding/dp/B0007L7B6S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1523990138&sr=8-5&keywords=urethane+rod
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #3 
The clear rod is part number 5003R4. The red rod is part number R04-01-03-RD.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.