The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 
This is the first part of a series showing how I restore Honda BIG RED gas tanks. I will start by recording the decal locations so I will have a reference to where they go before I remove them. This tank does have some dents and dings. I recently purchased a stud welder slide hammer kit to pull some dents out of some BIG RED gas tanks I have around. I wanted to get a stud welder and fix the tanks without filling them with a lot of body filler. After some research I ended up buying an H&S Autoshot stud welder and slide hammer kit.

IMG_0709.jpg 

Before pic of the tank

IMG_0717.jpg  IMG_0718.jpg 

Using a paint marker I will measure decal locations from a reference point. I then take digital images that I can use later for the decal installation

IMG_0732.jpg  IMG_0736.jpg 

First chemical strip

IMG_0743.jpg  IMG_0744.jpg 
Results after chemical stripping and scraping. Next i will media blast the tank. I will cover the inlet and outlet of the tank to avoid excessive blast media from going inside the tank.
IMG_0770.jpg  IMG_0771.jpg  IMG_0772.jpg 
Pics of the tools.
IMG_0773.jpg 
Tank has been media blasted. I then use the angle die grinder with a scotch bright pad to further clean the dented area.

IMG_0774.jpg 
Studs welded in the low areas of the dent.

IMG_0776.jpg 
Using slide hammer to pull the dents. It took me a little time to get this done. and I had to weld some more studs to get the metal the way I wanted it. There are some really good videos on youtube for pulling dents with a stud welder so I will not get into the technique here.

IMG_0777.jpg 

Dents pulled and studs cut off and ground down. Now with these dents pulled I will use a minimal amount of body filler.

THIS POST IS PART OF A SERIES OF POSTS. THE NEXT POST IS ABOUT REMOVING RUST FROM THE INSIDE OF THE GAS TANK. CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEXT POST.

tosaw

Reply with quote  #2 
Looks like it works really well. And think of the extra fuel capacity you'll gain back! Please update with the finished photo when it's done.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.