The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 
Ok the bodywork is done and I recoated the tanks with epoxy primer. After the epoxy primer is dry I wet sanded it with 400 grit sandpaper and a pad to prep it for the Urethane primer. I sprayed the tanks with 3 coats of 2K Urethane primer from TP tools. This is a high build primer that has worked good for me. Why 2 primers? I use the epoxy primer for corrosion protection and a sealer. The Urethane primer is a high build primer that fills in the small imperfections and gives a good base for the next coat which will be the basecoat clearcoat. After the urethane primer is dry I will wet sand it by hand with 600 grit sandpaper and a pad.

IMG_0928.jpg 

Urethane primer applied

IMG_1029.jpg 
2K (2 part) Urethane Primer used

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
Added some pics of the wet sanding. I'm out of clearcoat so I will have to wait to get some in before I can spray the basecoat and clearcoat.

IMG_1041.jpg 

600 grit sandpaper, sanding pad, and bowl of warm water
   IMG_1043.jpg
the "spots" you see above on the tank are areas that need more wet sanding to level the primer smooth for the base/clear

THIS POST IS PART OF A SERIES OF POSTS. THE NEXT POST IS ABOUT PAINTING THE TANK WITH BASECOAT CLEARCOAT. CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEXT POST. TO GO TO THE FIRST PART OF THIS SERIES PLEASE CLICK  HERE .

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.