The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 
Color sanding is basically leveling the clearcoat for a mirror like surface after buffing. I always spray a few extra coats of clearcoat since I know I will be doing this process. You don't want to sand through the clearcoat. Here is the process I use and some background:

IMG_1185.jpg 
Here are some of the materials I use. Spray bottle with a little dishsoap mixed in, 1500 grit sandpaper, sanding block (flexible), and a bowl.

IMG_1187.jpg 
Ok here is a pic of the tank after the basecoat and clearcoat paint has dried. Notice the wavy reflection. This is caused because the paint surface is not level. The color sanding and buffing will correct this for a mirror like reflection in the paint.

IMG_1190.jpg  IMG_1191.jpg 

I first wipe down the tank with a 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. I use a microfiber cloth.
IMG_1189.jpg 

I let the 1500 grit sandpaper soak in water for about a 1/2 hour before I start to sand.
IMG_1192.jpg 
I wrap the 1500 grit sandpaper around a flexible sanding block/pad. I spray the surface with the water/dishsoap mix and sand in a circular motion.

IMG_1194.jpg 
I use a rubber squeegee to wipe the water and clearcoat mix from the tank.

IMG_1196.jpg    Sand just enough to get a uniform dull surface. The pictures above show the dull surface next to the glossy surface so it is easy to know which areas still need to be sanded. I always use ample dishsoap and water mix and dip the sanding pad in the bowl consistently. You don't want to dry sand here as you might go all the way through the clearcoat.

IMG_1198.jpg  IMG_1199.jpg
Ok. I have a nice uniform dull appearance. Don't worry the paint is not ruined - in the next step I will use a buffer to bring back the shine better than it looks after it was first sprayed.

THIS POST IS PART OF A SERIES OF POSTS. THE NEXT POST IS ABOUT MACHINE BUFFING. CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEXT POST. TO GO TO THE FIRST PART OF THIS SERIES PLEASE CLICK  HERE .

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.