The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 
After the color sanding is done I wipe the tank down good with a microfiber cloth and a 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water mix. I use a variable speed Makita buffer with 4" buffing pads from SM Arnold. I wrote a review on the Makita Buffer MAKITA BUFFER REVIEW. The buffing compounds I use are from Meguires. I have had good results with these products but there are other good products out there too. I want to say that I learned color sanding and buffing from a DVD from Kevin Tetz call paintucation. Learning how to machine buff from a forum is not very practical. You tube may have some good videos on this too I am not sure.

IMG_1216.jpg  IMG_1217.jpg 
Makita buffer used

IMG_1214.jpg 
Buffing pads used. This kit comes with the 4" backing plate for the buffer

IMG_1218.jpg 
Buffing compounds used. When these run out I think I am going to try 3M products.

IMG_1215.jpg 
This is the setup I use. I have a piece of angle iron and that is clamped into the bench vise. The gas tank is bolted to the angle iron and the wood is placed under the tank for extra support.

IMG_1221.jpg  IMG_1223.jpg 
After first stage of buffing. I buff one section at a time using a dime size of compound. After each stage of buffing I will wipe down the tank with the rubbing alcohol and water mix.  Note that different pads are used for the different compounds.
IMG_1225.jpg  IMG_1226.jpg 
Buffing finished now I have a clear reflection in the paint. Next I will put the decals on.

Again I recommend getting a good video on this process to learn buffing as you can damage the paint if done incorrectly.

THIS POST IS PART OF A SERIES OF POSTS. THE NEXT POST IS ABOUT DECAL INSTALLATION. CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEXT POST. TO GO TO THE FIRST PART OF THIS SERIES PLEASE CLICK  HERE .

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.