The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 
With the buffing complete it's time for the decal placement. I got the replacement decals from Indian chief. He runs atctanks and decals. Here is a link to his site where you can get quality decals - atctanksanddecals. I used a product called sticker on to help install the decals. This solution allows you to move the decal for placement and then it will set up and stick once you have it in position. I ran out of the sticker on and found out that it was basically water and a little dish soap so I mixed up my own.

IMG_1376.jpg 
Sticker on

IMG_1377.jpg 
Decals from atctanksanddecals. I will cut each decal out of the large sheet to make the installation easier.

IMG_1379.jpg 
Took the laptop out to the shop so I can view my digital pictures of the decal location measurements I took before I stripped them off the tank.

IMG_1380.jpg 
I use a magnetic measuring tape and some 3M masking tape.

IMG_1381.jpg 
Using the 3M masking tape as a "guide" for the decal placement

IMG_1382.jpg 
Spray the dish soap water solution on the adhesive side of the decal. I put just enough on for a consistent slick surface. Make sure the area of the gas tank where the decal is to be placed is clean.

IMG_1384.jpg 
Decal installed. I will sometimes use a body filler spreader to press out all of the air under the decal and get it to lay flat. The decal will set up in 5-10 minutes.

IMG_1385.jpg  IMG_1386.jpg  IMG_1387.jpg  IMG_1388.jpg 
finished the decal install. I will wipe the tank down with wax and grease remover careful not to touch the decals and then wax the tank.

Godscogs

Reply with quote  #2 
Looks mint, nicely done.
IndianChief

Reply with quote  #3 
Awesome job on the tank!! 
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #4 
I just installed some tank decals on a 1983 BIG RED 200E. I wanted to show that it is sometimes easier to install the decals as a "set" so you don't have to worry about getting the spacing correct. In this case the side decals are individual but are on the same backing paper with the correct spacing. In this case I located the one lower corner and lower horizontal line and then installed the decal set from there. Use patience as you are putting a flat decal on a curved surface. I started from the bottom and worked my way to the top.

IMG_1393.jpg  IMG_1395.jpg  IMG_1396.jpg  IMG_1397.jpg  IMG_1398.jpg  IMG_1399.jpg  IMG_1402.jpg

THIS POST IS PART OF A SERIES OF POSTS. THE NEXT POST IS ABOUT RESTORING GAS CAPS AND NEW PETCOCKS. CLICK   
HERE TO GO TO THE NEXT POST. TO GO TO THE FIRST PART OF THIS SERIES PLEASE CLICK  HERE .

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.