The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
5thelefant

Reply with quote  #1 
A stray 200ES turned up at my door last night. I've been reading this form/site ever since. Great place!

One thing I can't find is...

Can the older rigid forks be used to replace the suspension forks reusing the current wheel/brakes?

HRD

Reply with quote  #2 
Doubtful. You'd want the early ATC185/200 rigid forks, the ones that were the first big tire ATCs with 25x12x9 tires. Even then, I think the axle isn't the same. You can cross reference part numbers on partzilla, bikebandit, or babbits OEM parts websites.

You'd loose the 200ES headlight and rack mounting by going to any other fork, unless you modify the forks. The front fender is going to be an issue too.

If the current forks are trashed, you may as well get them even and fully extended, and have them welded or drill a hole through and install bolts to keep them put. You could also disassemble (if possible) and install a solid rod in place of the damper cartridges. Someone on this forum or another made solid plastic spacers to convert them to rigid. More than one way to skin... 

If they're trashed, no harm, no foul in bastardizing them. With some fresh paint and cheap pair of new boots, the overall look won't be changed, and you won't have to modify anything to keep the OE headlight and rack.

If it runs and everything else more or less, functions properly, they're are excellent work horses. They'll pull a decent size load because of having a low range, and you can pull awkward loads really slow, like, tractor slow.
5thelefant

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for that. Sounds like an internal conversion to rigid is the way to go.
HRD

Reply with quote  #4 
The forks on the 200E/200ES Big Reds are the worst part, besides replacing the rear brake shoes. Keep up the enthusiasm [smile] 

Are you outside the U.S.? I ask because of the reflectors on the headlight. These were sometimes called Super Red outside of the U.S.. That may help when looking for parts.

The rear rack isn't right. That came from something else. It may get in the way of opening the rear compartment.
5thelefant

Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, UK. It's spent its life working on a Welsh hill farm. 

It's a bit beaten up but pretty much all there, just missing some rear brake components. 

The rear rack has lots of DIY welding on it, so may be from something else.
Godscogs

Reply with quote  #6 
I previously posted a rigid fork conversion i made from a solid rod of nylon since I have access to a lathe but not a welder. An after market shock solution wld be a dream.
5thelefant

Reply with quote  #7 
Yeah, I saw that. Slick approach. I have a lathe and some acetal rods...

Fitted a battery, added fresh fuel today. Started up and went OK. No nasty noises. Missing at higher revs. New cdi on the way and a carb clean is in order in the near future.

All looking encouraging.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.