The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #1 

Replacing the old, hard, torn, seat is just another part of the restoration of the 84 BIG RED. I got a replacement seat cover off of Ebay for around $30.00 including shipping. Before I even get started I will layout the new cover over the seat to make sure it looks like it will fit. Next I will remove the old staples in the seat pan (usually with a flathead screwdriver) and the old seat cover. At this time you need to take a good look at the seat foam. If it has chucks missing you will want to fill them in with replacement foam now since the new cover will not look good if the foam underneath does not have a uniform shape. A carving knife, some replacement foam, and some glue can be used to repair missing or damaged foam. In this case I was lucky and the foam was in pretty good shape. Now I spread the cover over the foam and make sure it is positioned correctly. Many seat covers have seams that follow the edges of the seat which helps with aligning the cover correctly. Once in place I stapled the front (two staples) and then stretched the cover and stapled the rear (two staples). Working back and forth and pulling and stretching the cover I finished the front and back. Next I used the same method for the sides. I use a pneumatic stapler and it works great. Many of the manual spring type staplers do not have the power to get into the seat pan. Keep an eye on your work as you go to make sure the cover is straight and there are no wrinkles in it. If you cannot get the cover to stretch tight you can use a heat gun to carefully heat the cover which will make stretching it easier.  I felt that the seat cover install went well on this one.

IMG_6900.jpg   
Before pic. A little tear on the top.

IMG_6903.jpg 
Removing the staples with a screwdriver.
IMG_6904.jpg   
  Foam was in good shape and didn't need to be repaired.
     IMG_6913.jpg  IMG_6914.jpg  IMG_6915.jpg   
Results of this install were good. Another piece of the restoration done.

bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
Wanted to add an update to this post. I recovered a seat recently and used plastic over the foam. Some of the wrinkles in the plastic showed through the cover. I ended up using some quilting batt and the wrinkles were eliminated.

IMG_9990.jpg  IMG_9991.jpg  IMG_9992.jpg  IMG_9993.jpg 

IndianChief

Reply with quote  #3 
Another job well done!
chainsawman

Reply with quote  #4 
another thing that might help this out. my friend runs a upholstery shop, and I can tell you to get this foam to look "uniform" after many years of damage is near impossible, so easy route (but does make the cover a bit more tug and hold, but is better in the future) go to your local fabric store or upholstery shop and get some high density 1/4" thick foam bigger than your seat that will wrap around the foam. then get some spray adhesive, 3m yellow spray super trim adhesive is the best, coat both the 1/4 foam on one side and the seat foam, let it tack and then put them together, but get it covered well from the start because you only have one chance to put them together. then trim away the excess new foam, also you may have to do relief cuts at the rear where the 90% turns are on the tail of the foam and just squirt a little more adhesive there. then if the cover does not have a front pull on, just start at the rear and work equal from side to side to the front. that extra foam makes it all look new, also the new foam for trx300's is the same just longer, it just has to be trimmed at the rear to fit the 250es seat pan, but look the same.     
chainsawman

Reply with quote  #5 
also there is a guy on ebay that does lovely custom seat covers for all big reds, hand done, super quality materials, any colors, any textures, embroidery, in Pennsylvania. goes by "hc-camo-seating" on ebay dropped his prices to compete with the Chinese market, so he sells at about 35.00 a cover. but much much better than any china cover, have them on all mine and just installed one for someone else that liked them
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #6 
For information regarding seat foam repair see SEAT FOAM REPAIR
Mtech

Reply with quote  #7 
I ordered a new cover from hccamoseating. I will let you all know, how that comes out, when I'm able to do the repair.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.