The JUSTBIGREDS.COM Forum - A Forum Dedicated to the BIG RED ATC

Author   Comment  
Playball

Reply with quote  #1 
I am unable to get the bolt out of the front forks to change the tire and brake pads. It is tight. Any tricks on getting it loose. This is the last thing I need to restore the tryk. Any help would be great.
bigredmark

Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome.Below is an image for reference. I would try using a better penetrating oil like PB blaster, Kroil, or acetone/ATF. Soak it good and let it sit for awhile. You may need to shock it with a good hard
blow from a hammer or small sledge - careful not to damage the axle threads. I use a brass drift to hit the end of the axle.

85 250.png   

VilliageI-Idiot

Reply with quote  #3 
Yep, Soak - Beat - Repeat.

Brass is great.  I use a lead hammer.  Some blocks of hardwood will work just don't put steel on steel.  You will regret that.  

The most important tool you need to get that axle out is Patience. If you get frustrated...walk away.  Better it take you a week to get it out than destroy parts that are difficult to replace.  

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks so much I will continue to soak and beat it. I just gave up. They are'nt reverse threads are they?
Koebel

Reply with quote  #5 
I had the same issue last month. Just soak the hell outta it for a few days. It prolly hasn’t been pulled since it was made so it’ll take time to loosen up. Trust me I know your pain!
Koebel

Reply with quote  #6 
No reverse threads btw
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.